banner
www.Saumfinger.de
Arten Anolisartikel Terraristik Forum Halter/Züchter Verschiedenes Literatur Links

Soil composition

Terrarien, Paludarien, Licht, Einrichtung und Pflanzen.
Eben alles was mit dem Halte-/Zuchtbehältern zu tun hat.

Moderatoren: Horst, saumfinger, Timo

Soil composition

Beitragvon rollinkansas am Di 15. Jun. 2010 18::48

Hello,

I am just wondering what type of soil you guys use for those that let the eggs hatch in the tank. I am used to more "spartan" tanks where you will search for eggs and artificially incubate them.

However, I would like to go with more heavily planted tanks, and want to make sure that the soil will not be too wet/too dry and will allow the eggs to properly incubate and not mold/dehydrate.

Thank you.
rollinkansas

Re: Soil composition

Beitragvon Nobi am Mi 16. Jun. 2010 6::28

Hello,
I am keeping 11. Anolis roquet roquet in an 85x50x80 cm self-made tank since March 2008. As I was never planning to search eggs and incubate them I prepared the tank as naturally as possible. I have earth ground from the forest as soil, little bit mixed with coco humus and sand but both not much. Also some dry leafs on top of the ground. I have the tank heaviliy planted but just as much that in some places little light is also reaching the ground. As said really natural. Last year I had 7 siblings from July to November, which suddenly appeared someday behind the windows, asking to get out there before being eaten by their Mum and Dad. One died the day after I took it out, the others were healthy and grew up normally. I think in a microclima like this tank has, it goes the natural ways, without being that much experienced as other people here.
Viele Grüße
Norbert

A. r. roquet (auch NZ) / Hemidactylus imbricatus / Furcifer pardalis "Ambanja blue" / Chondrodactylus turneri / Peruphasma schultei / Rhampholeon spectrum / Timon lepidus / Hunde / Weißbauchigel
Nobi

Beitragvon Horst am Mi 16. Jun. 2010 9::36

I use normal potting soil in my tanks. Plants help very well to hold the humidity in good values.

For "easyer" anole-species it`s no problem to let the eggs in the tank. Most eggs are doing well. For more "problematic" species I prefer man-made incubation; it`s more controlled.

Also in well planted tanks you can find a lot of the eggs when you once found the prefered places where eggs are layed.

Hope you understand my poor english....

regards
Horst
Horst

Beitragvon rollinkansas am Mi 16. Jun. 2010 18::18

Thank you for the replies. The pair I am most worried about is Anolis marmoratus marmoratus. Of course for a species like this, you want all the eggs to do well, so I would like it best for them as possible. Right now I use organic peat moss mixed with some sand but I think I want to change this out for some better moisture holding soil.
rollinkansas

Zurück zu Terrarium und Einrichtung